Friday 5 October 2012

Harvest and a catch up

My gosh has it really been so long since I posted? Well lets have a catch up.

Harry continues to totter his 2 or 3 steps. He's not got any braver, or maybe its because he cannot really see. Imagine walking round with one eye and that half shut with something stuck in front of it and thats perhaps all Harry can see. He's aware of obstacles to a point once he's learnt a room layout he can get round safely, but thats having the comfort of being on all fours. His hands are in contact with something solid and secure, he doesnt have that when he's on his feet, so no wonder he's a little insecure. He's still my brave little soldier.

It was Matthew and Madeleine's Harvest service today. Each class had a poem and song to sing. (don't worry, there's only 4 classes it being a small village school) and Matthew's kicked off with their poem. Matthew had learnt it word for word. His memory is amazing. His teacher had even commented in his home to school diary how excellent he was at the service. Very proud mamma.
Next came Madeleine and their Oats and Beans and Barley grow. I have been singing that sodding song all week, she had sung it at every breathing opportunity. They were to stand in front of the whole church and perform it with some actions. Now I declared that she wouldnt do it. Just stand there with her fingers in her mouth looking cute. But no, she proved me wrong and sang her heart out and did all the actions too. I was so proud of her, my heart almost popped. Her look of self triumph was amazing too. Now I did take my camera but thanks to William's constant wiggling and wanting to go sit with his siblings I completely forgot to use it. Doh!

Her teacher had been absent the day before due to a family funeral. Madeleine informed me that she had gone to say goodbye to her uncle as he had died.
'Am I going to die mummy?' she asked. Oh Lord, what a question.
'Not til you're at least a hundred I hope darling' I replied.
'What happens when you die?' she asked. Erm, I think its like going to sleep and staying asleep forever I replied. What else do you say to a four year old.
'I don't want to die then' she said 'because I don't like going to bed'!!!!
Now howsthat for turning something sad into something fairly humerous.


I spent a loverly few hours with my sis Rachel on Wednesday having a giggle and a catch up. The only downside was the location was Minor injuries Unit at our hospital. Now already having a dicky knee, she decided to entertain her class of 30 7/8 year olds by falling backwards over a little kiddy chair. They giggled, she too giggled tho she was really wanting to shout 'F@$* that bloody hurt!'
So I took her to the hospital where she was xrayed and prodded and poked and you can catch up on her blog here


And here we are on a wet and windy Friday night. Dan has started his run of nights, shame, so I have the TV and the sofas and the laptop and the bed all to myself. What usually happens, is I get all the kids to bed, settle into a sofa of my choice, put on something to watch, usually the Great British Bake Off, then fall asleep to some ludicrous time with my arm and hand dead and pins and needly.
This weekend is the Rb family weekend to celebrate 25years of Chect (The childhood eye cancer trust) and we're not there. I would have loved to have met the wonderful families I have come across on twitter and facebook, but sadly its not to be this year. It would have been nice to have been with people who are in the same boat as us. To have the same experiences and fears for the future, and I have many fears. It makes you a little neurotic, every ailment, ache, pain makes you start the what-if game and its not just with Harry. I know its irrational, and all my children will grow and achieve great things but whilst you're sheltered in the safety of not living with the evil 'c' word you never have to have these thoughts. So think yourself lucky if you're one of the lucky ones and count your blessings.
I count my blessings everyday. I have four of them, and each one makes my day worthwhile. From the mischievous William, to the ever so grown up Matthew and the sweet eating Madeleine to my happy little monkey Harry. They make me smile every day, and no amount of wind and rain, evil or crapness can stop me counting.
Just don't forget to count yours!

1 comment:

  1. Once cancer has come into your lives, it wants to infect all other areas of happiness, too. Your angels are just that, beautiful little gifts. I'm so enjoying watching them grow (without any of the negative parts of childhood, mind you!) ;) I imagine the worry never really leaves a mama.

    That's 1 thing I miss about my kids being in school, watching them in their little performances. How sweet their little faces are & how heart-warming their pride is. They grow up far too quickly! Snuggle the babies & the little walker for me! I'm so proud of them all!

    ReplyDelete